So I’ve been on holiday this week, and thought I would share with you how I make sushi. It is very simple and makes for a delicious lunch.
1 1/2 cups of medium grain sushi rice per person
2 Tsp of sushi seasoning per cup of rice
3 Sheets of Nori per person
Any filling ingredients – I used Smoked Salmon, Seafood Sticks and Cucumber
- Rinse the rice under cold water to wash the surface starch off the grains, repeat till water is clear
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker
- Once the rice is cooked, add the sushi seasoning to the rice and stir
- Using a bamboo mat, place the rough side of Nori upwards and using a rice paddle, spread the rice evenly across the sheet
- Place your filling in the centre of the sheet, I used smoked salmon, seafood sticks and cucumber, but you can pretty much put anything you like in the rolls. Avocado works well or even some chicken
- Using the bamboo mat slowly roll towards the centre and over your filling, then pick up your sushi roll with the mat and squeeze the roll to secure the filling inside
- Unroll and use a serrated knife to cut into small pieces
It’s best served with some soy sauce and I like it with a hit of Wasabi.